Hi Telmo,

On 20 Feb 2014, at 13:40, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 19 Feb 2014, at 19:13, Telmo Menezes wrote:

"If no human can check a proof of a theorem, does it really count as mathematics? That's the intriguing question raised by the latest computer-assisted proof. It is as large as the entire content of Wikipedia, making it unlikely that will ever be checked by a human being."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25068-wikipediasize-maths-proof-too-big-for-humans-to-check.html#.UwTytEJdV69

This reminded me of something that Bruno mentions frequently: the idea of deriving physics from the natural numbers, addition and multiplication. Should we expect wikipedia-size proofs (or worse)?

Hi Bruno,

Er well, people seems not quite aware of this, but the physics has already been derived, and it would take 50 pages, when done starting from zero, but it is shortened a lot by using Solovay's completeness theorems (on G and G*).

Of course, the physics obtained might seem a bit abstract, and it remains many open problems. But the equation are there, and it remains only mathematical problems to solve.

It would be astonishing that the first interview of the machine gives the correct physics, but up to now, it fits, and this at a place where many logicians predicted it would be miraculous that it would not be contradicted immediately.

I have to admit, I think I follow the main ideas you've been explaining on the mailing list, but here you just sound mysterious... Have you published any of this?

Yes. In the original long 'belgian" version, UDA is just UDP, that is the paradox of the universal dovetailer, and it is "just" a motivation for the mathematical definition ([]p & <>p), for the mathematicians. The original thesis is mainly "AUDA", the "translation of UDA" in arithmetic. Here the formulation provides "the solution", a bit like a differential equation "gives" its solution(s).

Quentin made a genuine point, already done by J.P. Delahaye, that physics is redefined, and that it might have been trivial, only geography, but the whole point is that there is a core non trivial physics, which is natural, as it is the laws on the statistical combinations of *all* computations, below the substitution level.

Physics is redefined by "universal machine observable", and this can be translated (in platonia, i.e. in arithmetic) by p sigma_1 (p -> []p, and []p & <>t). That gives already the "quantum" tautologies, and the comparison match up to now.

That's why they push me to publish and do a PhD thesis.
Of course, comp can be false, and this might only be a bad lucky coincidence. This we can always say for any theory.

I am actually explaining to Liz and others, how the physics is extracted (UDA explains already how physics needs to be redefine, and AUDA just do the math of that redefinition). I have to explain a bit of modal logic before, just to be able to give the enunciation of Solovay theorems.

Ok, I've been silently following your modal logical class as time permits. Thanks for that, by the way!

You are welcome,

I will try soon to send a long post explaining the main gist of the whole AUDA. It is really consequences of Gödel's second incompleteness theorem (and Löb's theorem, and the Solovay theorems), for machines which are simple enough so that we can "know" them to be correct, and rich enough (having enough induction power) to "know" their own turing universality, and be Löbian.

Bruno

Telmo.

Best,

Bruno

Cheers,
Telmo.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to everything- l...@googlegroups.com.