The great thing about using an energy grid is you can plug in new
components (i.e. different types of generators - nuclear etc) and
everything continues to work the same way downstream.

This is why I'm keen on the idea of extracting CO2 from the air and making
petrol, if possible. No change is required to the energy infrastructure, as
there would be with say hydrogen or electric cars, but it's carbon neutral.
We'd get a closed cycle in which the atmosphere was just a temporary
reservoir for the materials needed to make the fuel. Presumably we'd
eventually be able to extract CO2 at a rate that even reduced the amount of
GHGs in the air.

All a pipe dream no doubt.