Hi Liz

>> I'm not sure I follow.

Me neither.

>>  wrote down your room number each time, you'd in almost all cases find that
>> the sequence of zeros and ones you'd written looked random, with zeros
>> occurring about 50% of the time."

there would be no 'about' it were your interpretation right, Liz.

It would be all the time, exactly 50%.

Hes saying that zeros occur about 50%of the time in the zeros and ones you have
written down.

That corresponds to the individual bit strings. Not the entire collection of
them.

>> I guess the sloppy phrasing is he implies 0s happen half the time in most
>> sequences?

I suspect its sloppy interpretation rather than sloppy phrasing that implies
that.

>> I don't know if that is true (it's true for 6 of the 16 sequences above)

6/16 isn't half is it? I measured 1 divided by 2 just now and it still seems to
come out as 0.5 here.

>> or if it becomes more true (or almost true) with longer sequences. Maybe a
>> mathematician can enlighten me?

I wrote a little program Liz that collects together all the bit strings that
can be made from 16 bits. Then it counts the number of 1s and 0s in each one.
It has a little counter that goes up by one every time there are 8 zeros.

there are 65536 combinations. 12870 of them have 8 zeros. 12870 / 65536 * 100 =
19%.

6/16*100 = 37%

I don't know about you but 19, being less than 37, suggests to me that the
percentage is going down. But ofcourse ask a mathematician if you're not
certain of that yourself.

>> I admit Max seems a little slapdash in how he phrases things in the chapters
>> I've read so far, presumably because he's trying to make his subject matter
>> seem more accessible.

Yeah, which is preferable to people with similar ideas being slap dash in order
to make them less accessible.