Hi Jason/Gabriel

Thanks for the posts. They were both really clear. I can see that it was a
mistake to hedge my bets on exact figures and also, given Jason's comments, to
think that seemingly regular sequences were quite common.

I do maintain that proportions of roughly 50/50 splits are a spurious measure
of 'seemingly random' though and that irregularity of change is a better one.

There also seems to me to be a big difference between Tegmark's game as
described in the quote below, and flicking coins. Tegmark's game is a process
guaranteed to generate (over 4 iterations)  16 unique and exhaustive
combinations of 0s and 1s (heads or tails). If 16 people were to flick a coin 4
times and write down the results there is only a low probability that the
resulting set would map on to that generated by Tegmarks game. There is fair
chance there would be some repetition.

Jason, you say:

>> Even if your pattern were: 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1, you still have no better
>> than a 50% chance of predicting the next bit, so despite the coincidental
>> pattern the sequence is still random.

I disagree here. In Tegmarks game you know a particular outcome is not
exclusive and that you'll have two successors who get one and the other.  The
next outcome is (01010101010 AND 01010101011) not (01010101010 XOR
01010101011). Now this might influence how you bet. If you care about your
successors you might refuse to make a bet because you know one successor will
lose. If we rolled dice rather than flicked coins and were to bet on getting
anything but a 6, in a modified Tegmark game we might still refuse to bet
knowing that one successor would certainly lose. Its a bet we almost certainly
would take if we were rolling die in a classical world without clones.

More dramatically, if you play Russian roulette in Everettian Multiverse you
always shoot someone in the head. Crossing the road becomes deeply immoral
because vast numbers of successors trip and get run down by trucks.

A final confusion: Does anything ever seem 'apparently random' in a
Marchalian/Tegmarkian game? Given that you know outcomes are generated by a
mechanical process and given you know exactly what the following set of
outcomes will be, how can they seem random? Even 1001111010110011 isn't looking
very random anymore.

:(