On 14 Mar 2014, at 10:11, Kim Jones wrote:

On 14 Mar 2014, at 1:12 pm, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

Information must be made evident through sensory participation, or it is nothing at all.

Craig, you have just explained to me the basis of my discalculia. No one else has ever managed to do that in all my 57 years.

Music was always instantaneously understandable to me because of the way it gained my deep sensory participation whereas mathematics was always just a bunch of squiggles on paper that to me were as dry as dust and as terrifyingly remote as Egyptian hieroglyphs. Math evoked no sensuous universe of qualia - for me. I have often felt that for those with a high degree of numeracy, that the hieroglyphs of mathematics evoke the same sensory participation as music does for me. Bruno, for example composes and reads mathematical sentences with the same ease as I have in listening to even quite complex music and writing it down from ear in standard music notation.

Not really. To be honest, it is work, a lot of work. And then I have just plugged in works made by people certainly more gifted than me. For most mathematicians, it is a question of patient learning. There are virtuoses,but most mathematicians can be quickly out, when going out of their expertise.

Gauss said that mathematics is simple, because everyone can understand, and that's true, but to solve a known problem, you need complex circumstantial event. Now, we know we are confronted to a ladder of very complex problems, and even genius like Ramanujan couldn't solve the Riemann hypothesis, which is just pi_1, the negation of a sigma_1 proposition.

Doing math is simple, like swimming is simple, but then that does not mean that crossing the ocean is simple, and in that sense, math is infinitely difficult.

I sometimes refer to myself as a "mathemusician".

:)

There are many relations between math and music. Too much, so thats a whole topic. I point often on the relation I do know, which is that numbers, written in a base, already code melodies (cf musinum). Then there is the pythagorean link between numbers and frequencies, which relates wave theory and number theory. By that aspect QM seems more pythagorean than computationalism, for which the universal number might look like a dissonance. For each part of of math, there might be a corresponding music. Both math and music are large, there is something for any taste and sensibility, I think.

Bruno

I'll now watch the clip you posted!

Kim

Kim Jones B. Mus. GDTL

Email:   kimjo...@ozemail.com.au
             kmjco...@icloud.com
Mobile: 0450 963 719
Phone:  02 93894239
Web:     http://www.eportfolio.kmjcommp.com

"Never let your schooling get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain