On 21 Mar 2014, at 22:30, Jesse Mazer wrote:

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 21 Mar 2014, at 20:17, Jesse Mazer wrote:

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 18 Mar 2014, at 22:33, LizR wrote:

> Am I right in assuming that in a quantum mechanical universe you can trace the history backwards?

Absolutely not because in Quantum mechanics 2 very different states can evolve into the exact same state.

Not if you're just talking about the evolution of the quantum state vector according to the Schroedinger equation, which is totally deterministic.

Deterministic is compatible with the fact that 2 very different states can evolve into the exact same state, making it non reversible.

But the solution of the SWE are more than deterministic, they are reversible. In QM (without collapse) 2 different states evolves into two different states.

True. I spoke too quickly, I guess my mind jumped to determinism rather than reversibility (which is a type of reverse determinism) because I figured John was thinking of quantum randomness, which only enters in QM if you adopt the postulate of a random "collapse" on measurement.

But John was correct in thinking that determinism does not entail reversibility. He gave the example of the game of life. But most arithmetical operations are like that too. 2+3 gives 5, but from 5 you can't necessarily retrieve 2+3, it might be 1+ 4 or 101 - 96.

I agree with what you say, but I was actually the one who brought up the Game of Life in the discussion with John, because I was using it to make the point that the second law of thermodynamics is more than a tautology, that it actually depends on some specific properties of the laws of physics such as satisfying Liouville's theorem. With the appropriate choice of macrostates (namely, defining a macrostate by the ratio of live to dead cells), in the Game of Life the odds can favor a higher-entropy state evolving to a lower-entropy one (since if you start with a random 50:50 mix of live and dead cells, after enough time you are likely to end up in a state where most or all the cells are dead).

OK. We agree. Thanks for the clarifications.

Bruno

Jesse