On 17 April 2014 09:38, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 4/16/2014 2:34 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 17 April 2014 09:30, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/16/2014 2:17 PM, LizR wrote:
>>
>>> Personally, I consider "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to be
>>> a "useful idea". But YMMV.
>>>

>>  Sure, I already excepted art - and not just music; a lot of writers and
>> painters were inspired by alcohol and also by other 'drugs' like religion.
>>  Art is a way of communicating at a subconscious level and so it helps to
>> be able to make synasthesia like connections between disparate things.
>>
>>  OK, if you excepted art, then we agree on that. So if "poets are the
> unacknowledged legislators of the world" it would seem that drugs have at
> least indirectly influenced other aspects of the human condition.
>

> That's a big "if".

Only if you take it literally. (You really should allow Shelley some poetic
licence!)

If you take it as it was intended, it's fairly obvious that poets, writers,
musicians and so on have a huge influence on culture, and hence on everyone
else.

(So drugs do at least have an indirect influence on the entire culture...)