On Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:05:20 AM UTC+1, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2014, at 22:33, ghi...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>

> Physorg runs a report today in which brain abnormalities are linked with
> cannabis use,
>

> http://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-04-casual-marijuana-linked-brain-abnormalities.html#ajTabs
>
> Sounds pretty serious.
>

> Sure, and we have to take all data into account. What that paper show is
> just negligible compared to the use of alcohol. Also, they talk about
> joint, which is not marjiuana, but a mixture tobacco and marijuana, and it
> is not clear if they have verified that the person did not also drink
> alcohol. Then all studies I read shows that cannabis augments the number of
> neurons, and it is not clear in what sense those deformations constitutes a
> problem.

You haven't been forthcoming about the evidence for serious brain damage as
a result of cannabis. When I said I'd seen two friends institutionalised,
you didn't acknowledge, yes there is serious evidence for brain damage of
this kind. You didn't do that.

You are apparently making the same sort of mistake as you do over on
climate threads. Taking everything into account, is not a case of any two
lines of evidence, one being negative one being positive, can be compared
and played off against one another.

Evidence for serious brain damage, can be compared to evidence for serious
brain enhancements...or neutral effects. In the event of neutral effects,
then the median would still be in the negative, since the other evidence is
for serious brain damage.

Comparing to alcohol, which is already legal and embedded into society,
is not a sort of, opportunity for an open season arguing for other harmful
substances be embedded into society in the same way.

Cannabis is clearly a very mixed bag. There is clearly some very worrying
evidence linking cannabis to mental illness. There is also a lot of
individual testimony linking cannabis to a collapse in most interest in
life, ambition, goals, responsibilities. So there's a lot of really
negative information and you want to sweep all that under the carpet and
discredit the sources. That's very devious conduct, on the face of things.

> But, anyway, I don't think it makes any sense to ban a drug, as all
> studies shows that when it is illegal, you give the market to people who
> will not ask the ID to their "clients". On the contrary, the criminals will
> target the kids, and get the mean to sell the drug without any price and
> quality control. So a proof that cannabis *is* bad for the health is
> automatically a reason more to make it legal: to protect the kids.

I agree that legalization is the only solution, because of the serious
problem of corruption now mainstream in society as a result of organized
crime. I think the only safe way to legalize would be to ramp up individual
and company rights....specifically allowing one person to require another
person does not use ...certain drugs, ever, or at certain times...as a
condition of a legal contract...including employment, marriage, membership
of a club..whatever.

People wouldn't have to require that, but they'd have the right. I think it
would be safe to legalize drugs in that sort of situation, because drugs
use would immediately be swept to the periphery. But organized crime would
be killed off at the same time. It would also probably have to be
multilateral in implementation.