On 30 April 2014 23:47, Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Emergence means that the higher level is idependent of the substrate
> and produce effects in the substrate. That means that once emerged, it
> does not matter if is the result off a darwinian process, a numeric
> simulation or an intelligent design, it is as it is and start to work
> with their own rules, influencing above and below it.
>
> http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/~ellis/nature.pdf

I find that paper rather unconvincing. So what if we can't predict football
from the Schrodinger equation? This doesn't imply the existence of downward
causation as anything physically fundamental, it just says that the
computations are intractable, or maybe just that they would take an
impractically long time to run. But if he* isn't* saying downward causation
is physically fundamental, he's comparing apples with oranges, and the
result is bananas.

The stuff about the atoms having to be in "exactly the right place" at the
time of the big bang is reminiscent of Hoyle's junkyard-to-747 argument. It
misses out all the ordering principles that might come to bear, and
basically appeals to our incredulity. Well, duh, that couldn't
*possibly*happen - could it?!? But to see how vitally important that
original
arrangement is, let's suppose we do a thought experiment and stir all those
original atoms around randomly. We can churn them around a lot (but to be
fair we should leave the average density and average quantum fluctuations
as they were in "our" version of the primordial gas). Let's do it a
trillion trillion trillion or so times, with everything from one atom being
moved to whole galactic masses being rearranged, and consider what might be
the results.

Well, gravity and evolution will still take their courses. So we'll still
get planets and in some cases, life. In the cases where we only moved a few
atoms, we'll probably  get something indistinguishable from our Earth, and
even the Mona Lisa. This is just the idea of a multiverse, which the author
of the paper has turned upside down to make it into an argument from
incredulity. But all one can really say is that differences in initial
condtions will produce a range of outcomes, presumably ranging from almost
exact copies of Earth through to entirely different galaxies (the
proportions will I suppose involve chaos theory - maybe moving one atom
really *would* butterfly-effect its way through history to stop Earth
existing, or let the Nazis win WW2, or at least give the Mona Lisa a
moustache....)

But the bottom line is that we'd get something reasonably similar from
similar starting conditions, and all one can say is, again, so what? So our
starting conditions happened to produce our universe, but slightly
different conditions would have produced a slightly different universe.
Whatever next ... "Pope still Catholic" ?

So appealing to the "exact conditions" being needed to create our "exact
conditions" as though this is something special or important is deeply
suspect, IMHO. I get enough of that "precisely arranged" nonsense when I
discuss backwards causation, and it looks like downwards causation needs
similarly specious appeals to our incredulity. (Still, maybe all the hot
air and hand waving will have an unexpected effect on lower levels of
physics...)