On 17 May 2014, at 20:47, meekerdb wrote:

On 5/17/2014 10:35 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

Very generaly, we can say that a believer M is agnostic with respect to a proposition A if M does not believe A *and* does not believe ~A.

If G is for God exists, someone agnostic obeys ~[]G and ~[]~G. He does not believe in God and he does not believe in the inexistence of God. Either because he is not interested in the question, or because he waits for more information, and better precision, or he believes may be that it is in God nature than humans can't decide, whatever.

There's also the category of "strong agnostic", one who denies that a question can possibly be resolved. And I suppose there is a whole range of agnosticism depending on what degree of resolution is meant.

Yes, agnosticism is very large, and is not a philosophical position per se, but more a meta-position, like a statement of ignorance. You can be officially agnostic, yet harbor few doubts. I am officially agnostic on both God and Matter, but I am far more open to a fertile notion of God (like Arithmetical truth) than (primitive) Matter (which I have no clue what it is, and how it could singularize a conscious experience related to observation when we assume computationalism.

I define God by anything transcendental, unnameable, and responsible (in a personal or non personal way) for our spiritual and physical existence. In comp, it cannot be "Matter". The material derives from the spiritual, like explained in the UDA.