On 17 May 2014 11:05, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 5/16/2014 2:41 PM, LizR wrote:
>
>  On 16 May 2014 17:14, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 5/15/2014 10:04 PM, freqflyer07281972 wrote:
>>
>> So do you think there is some merit in Kauffman's conclusions? Do you
>> think it is possible to reason about "the Void"? Or meaningful? Or useful?
>>

>>  Sure, it's possible to reason about anything.  Whether you can arrive at
>> something useful is an open question - one can but try.  I like the late
>> Norm Levitt's remark, "What is there? EVERYTHING! So what isn't there?
>> NOTHING!"
>>

>  Or one could paraphrase Russell Standish - What is there? NOTHING! -
> Which is EVERYTHING!
>
>  I like Russell's version, which creates more of a *frisson*. Although I
> assume Levitt is claiming the existence of a multiverse (EVERYTHING implies
> that of course).
>

> I doubt that, Norm was rather a fan of Bohmian QM.

I had the chance to talk to Jim Al-Kalili at the Auckland Writers Festival
and I was surprised to find his favourite interpretation of QM is also the
Bohm one, which hasn't been coming up much in Max Tegmark's polls of
physicists recently. (I believe it's the multiverse but with one universe
"more real" than all the others, or something similar).

Obviously I didn't have much to go on with Mr Levitt, just the quote you
supplied, but ISTM "What is there? EVERYTHING!" could be taken to mean that
everything that can exist exists (i.e. Everett). An alternative reading is
that he is saying he thinks the universe is infinite, which also gives us
everything that can exist. I'm not sure how else one can interpret
"EVERYTHING" especially when it's emphasised like that.