On 13 Jun 2014, at 20:10, smi...@zonnet.nl wrote:

Citeren Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>:

On 13 Jun 2014, at 05:06, LizR wrote:

On 13 June 2014 05:11, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 12 Jun 2014, at 00:30, LizR wrote:
So a person would be a "garden of forking paths" laid out by deterministic physics, within which their conscious mind could move around (within limits). So the p-zombies are, so to speak, the materialist / eliminativist versions of people, while consciousness is something that can flow through the "network" provided by the p-zombies.

Well, it is simpler to admit the p-zombies are conscious.

But then you can't select your branch, because you end up in all of them!

Yes. That's the point. It makes the outcome non determinable. That's the FPI.

Bruno

The persons in the different branches are not the same persons and neither of them is the same as the original.

They can be considered as being the same, by being consistent extension of the "original". Of course such identity is not transitive. The W-copy and the M-copy are both equal (in that personal identity sense) to the H-guy (the "original" in Helsinki), but are different from each others.

You only exist at each instant of time, a moment later who exists is no longer the orignal you.

Not in the usual use of "I" (be it 3p or 1p). I live not just an instant. I would not do a cup of coffee if I did not knew that I will benefit of it.

Accepting amnesia here, we get that we are already all the same person. But this would be misleading to use to derive physics, which is not concerned with personal identity, but statistics on possible consistent extensions.

In case there is no slitting, you can reconstruct the original from the new as the inverse time evolution will reconver the original person. When there has been a splitting into dofferent branches, you need all the branches to recover the original person.

Or its code before the splitting.

Bruno

Saibal