On 2 July 2014 09:33, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 7/1/2014 1:32 PM, David Nyman wrote:
>
>> On 1 July 2014 19:24, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>  I think you have created a strawman "exhaustively-reducible physical or
>>> material ontology".  Sure, physicists take "forces" and "matter" as
>>> working
>>> assumptions - but they don't say what they are.  They are never anything
>>> other than "elements of a mathematical model which works well."  And what
>>> does it mean to work well?  It means to explain appearances - exactly the
>>> same thing you put forward as a uniquely different goal of comp.
>>>
>> Firstly, I'm not really persuaded by your contention that forces and
>> matter, to use your example, are merely "elements of a mathematical
>> model which works well". Rather, in terms of that very model, such
>> elements are precisely those that (at least in principle) are supposed
>> to comprise a fully-sufficient bottom-up ontology for the theory as a
>> whole. The point, again in principle at least, is that nothing *above*
>> the level of the basic ontology need be taken into account in the
>> evolution of states defined in terms of it; put simply, there is no
>> top-down causality.
>>

> Actually, causality, except in the no-spacelike influence, doesn't enter
> into fundamental physics. Models are generally time-symmetric.

I agree. As Victor Stenger mentions in "The Comprehensible Cosmos"
causality is just another word for the 2nd law, and the 2nd law is an
emergent result of the universe being in a special state - namely
expanding. The expansion determines an arrow of time via various processes
where initially time-symmetric systems "freeze out" into bound states
(quarks, nuclei, stars etc). This has the effect of allowing the entropy
ceiling to rise so a system that was originally at thermodynamic
equilibrium is able to move away from it as it cools / expands.

So the question boils down to whether the expansion is a result of
fundamental physics, or incidental / local. Eternal inflation seems to
suggest it's fundamental - or does it? Can someone more knowledgeable
correct me on that, if necessary?