Emil L. Post 1936 "Finite Combinatory Processes. Formulation 1." - from the
concluding paragraph:

"The writer expects the present formulation to turn out to be logically
equivalent to recursiveness in the sense of the Gödel-Church development.
Its purpose, however, is not only to present a system of a certain logical
potency but also, in its restricted field, of psychological fidelity. In
the latter sense wider and wider formulations are contemplated. On the
other hand, our aim will be to show that all such are logically reducible
to formulation 1. We offer this conclusion at the present moment as a *working
hypothesis*. And to our mind such is Church's identification of effective
calculability with recursiveness.8 Out of this hypothesis, and because of
its apparent contradiction to all mathematical development starting with
Cantor's proof of the non-enumerability of the points of a line,
independently flows a Gödel-Church development. The success of the above
program would, for us, change this hypothesis not so much to a definition
or to an axiom but to *natural law*. Only so, it seems to the writer, can
Gödel's theorem concerning incompleteness of symbolic logics of a certain
general type and Church's results on the recursive unsolvability of certain
problems be transformed into conclusions concerning all symbolic logics and
all methods of solvability."

Footnote:

8 "Cf. Church, lock. cit, pp. 346, 356-358. Actually the work already done
by Church and others carries this identification considerably beyond the
working hypothesis stage. *But to mask this identification under a
definition hides the fact* that a fundamental discovery in the limitiations
of mathematicizing power of Homo Sapiens has been made *and blinds us to
the need of its continual verification*."

Effective calculability; Post seems to insist with the incredibly clear and
simple Formulation1, is "merely" intuitive notion. I know Church wasn't too
happy with this. Continual verification, ok. PGC