On 16 August 2014 16:48, Pierz <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I assert this confidently on the basis of my intuitions as a programmer,
> without being able to rigorously prove it, but a short thought experiment
> should get halfway to proving it. Imagine a lookup table of all possible
> additions of two numbers up to some number n. First I calculate all the
> possible results and put them into a large n by n table. Now I'm asked what
> is the sum of say 10 and 70. So I go across to row 10 and column 70 and
> read out the number 80. But in doing so, I've had to count to 10 and to 70!
> So I've added the two numbers together finding the correct value to look
> up! I'm sure the same equivalence could be proven to apply in all analogous
> situations.
>

>> But if your table gives the results of multiplying them, you get a
slightly free lunch (actually I have a nasty feeling you have to perform a
multiplication to get an answer from an NxN grid ... to get to row 70,
column 10, don't you count N x 70 + 10?)

So suppose your table gives the result of dividing them, I'm sure you're
getting at least a cheap lunch now?

Sorry this is probably complete nitpicking. I can see that the humungous
L.T. needed to speak Chinese would require astronomical calculations to
find the right answer, which does probably prove the point.