From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Stephen Paul King
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2014 5:38 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: AI Dooms Us

Hi Chris,

   I agree. What we see in the current development is, literally, evolution - I
would not say that it is "Darwinian" per se as it is not smooth or continuous.
It looks more like a punctuated equilibrium over many interacting asynchronous
systems. What I don't see is an analogue of a genome, such that the Dawkins
model is supported.

I just recently found talks on "dependency injection". Please tell me more!

Also known as inversion of control. Essentially it involves the implementation
of interfaces. The interface being the contract. How the service implementing
the contract goes about doing so is an internal matter, what matters to the
client is that the contract is honored and the given service is performed.
Complex systems are assemblages of simpler systems… file systems, data
repositories, messaging systems, and so on. These systems can be composited
together using interfaces and abstract containers – instead of returning a
concrete container of something the thing can return something (could be
anything) that fulfills a shared contract.

Late binding dependency injection is a means of supplying at the late deployed
run time phase of a configured set of libraries… perhaps behind other endpoints
and so forth that will implement the required interface and provide the needed
service. The consuming program need not worry about how a given dependency will
be fulfilled – that is the injected libraries responsibility.

Using a combination of programming behind the abstraction of interfaces and IOC
containers – frameworks that perform late binding dependency injection to
fulfill the service needs a program can free itself from any particular
implementation and smoothly evolve to other better implementations as long as
its contracts i.e. defined implemented interfaces can be fulfilled.

On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 8:32 PM, 'Chris de Morsella' via Everything List