Hi Richard,

I must stress that this is all new territory for me, but what I gather from
the things I've read so far is that dark energy is a form of positive
energy balanced by the negative energy of gravity. So here too some kind of
polarity seems to hold. The point is that as space expands, dark energy
increases, so the law of energy conservation is violated, unless the
negative energy of gravity increases with an equal amount, so as to
'balance the books'. Thus it would seem that what happens in inflation is
precisely this 'splitting' of positive, dark energy (repulsion, which
drives the inflation) and the negative energy of gravity. Dark energy can
only increase if the negative energy of gravity increases at the same time.
Dark energy and gravity seem to be the two opposed sidess of one and the
same coin, which is also suggested by the fact that dark energy is often
referred to a repulsive gravity.

Well, that's what I understand about it (and that's not much)... I have to
do more reading on this subject to feel really comfortable about it... But
as far as I can tell right now, this duality of dark energy and the
negative energy of gravity fits the dialectical picture of nothing
splitting into opposites quite well.

Peter

Actually Peter I was thinking more about  your basic assumption that
mass-energy is balanced by gravity, one being the negative of the other,
which also seems to apply to the dialectic explained in the second blog
above, which I just read.