On 7 November 2014 09:56, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  I'd say that expansion of the universe is almost necessary, not
> contingent.  The AoT has to point in the direction of entropy increase and
> in almost all models that's correlated to the expansion of the universe.
> If it is bigger at one time than at another then the AoT will point toward
> the bigger end.  I say "almost" because there are some ways around it.  If
> the universe recontracts the AoT will probably continue to point toward the
> Big Crunch, at least until the total entropy equals the Bekenstein bound.
> Or on the other possibility, L.S. Schulmann has written a nice little book
> about his investigation of universes in which the AoT reverses so it always
> points to the biggest phase of the universe.

Yes, that is indeed exactly the position I have long argued for on
this very forum.

To summarise my argument, which has at times been vigorously opposed, I
think by you amongst others, but not yet actually shot down (kaon decay
comes closest, but doesn't appear to be very important in generating the
AOT, although it's possible it actually had/has a pivotal role we're
unaware of).

a) the universe is expanding for some reason, possibly necessary in the
sense of being built into the laws of physics (e.g. as a result of eternal
inflation ... perhaps?) - or perhaps contingent, that is to say not
mandated by the laws of physics, but maybe the result of some symmetry
breaking etc.

b) all the other things regarded as the AOT emerge from (a). I have given
details of this at some length on previous occasions, but briefly it's that
various bound states (nucleons, galaxies etc) can emerge from the cooling
caused by the universal expansion.