From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of LizR
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 2:14 PM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Isn't this group supposed to be about trying to figure out how the
universe works and not so much about religion and insults?

On 12 January 2015 at 17:23, 'Roger' via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Everyone,

    I'd like to propose that we get back to the subject of discussing our ideas
on how the universe works, why it's here, etc., and stop talking about religion
so much.  It'd be nice if we could all also provide constructive criticism if
we disagree, instead of insults.  If this turns into a religion, hatred,
insults type forum, for me at least, it will have lost the value it had.

    To start, I'd like to propose the following:  We all have different views
on the question "Why there is something rather than nothing?", if that question
even has value, how the universe works, etc.  I think it's safe to say that,
unless you're an academic, our ideas are also routinely ignored, criticized and
made fun of by academics.  The only way for amateurs to ever get more traction
is if we can take our ideas on the universe, build them up, and make models and
testable predictions.  That's pretty much the scientific method.  Also, if
we're discussing metaphysics, metaphysics is the study of being and existence.
Because the universe "be"s and exists, and physics is the study of how the
universe works, the laws of physics and the universe should be derivable from
the principles of metaphysics.  I think many of us are trying to work out the
principles of metaphysics that apply to how the universe works.  I call this a
metaphysics-to-physics or philosophical engineering approach. I'd like to
challenge all of us to build models and make predictions based on our ideas.
That's what I'm trying to do in my own thinking.  I've got a very basic
beginning model based on my thinking at my website at:

https://sites.google.com/site/ralphthewebsite/filecabinet/why-is-there-something-rather-than-nothing

in the section called Use of the proposed solution to build a model of the
universe.  I look forward to reading about others' models on this list in the
future.

   Anyways, even if no one is interested, I'd still vote to get away from
religion.  Live and let live, let everyone have their say, and move on.  That's
my two cents.  Thanks.

OK. I have many times dismissed the God hypothesis (on this forum) as having no
explanatory value, as have others. But it keeps coming back.

But anyway...

I don't think there is necessarily something rather than nothing. There may
only appear to be - the "something" of a material universe may be somehow
derived from the "nothing" of all possible information, as suggested by Russell
and others.

I think any serious attempt to explain the S vs N (on this list, given what's
already been said) should start from the basis that "nothing" has to mean
nothing physical - no pre-quantum fields or whatever are good enough, they're
still something. Otherwise you're just going from something to somethnig else,
which is fine in itself but it shouldnt be advertised as something from nothing.

My 2c