http://m.deseretnews.com/
Michael Gerson: Modern science: Design of the divine?
By Michael Gerson, Washington Post

Published: Fri, Jan. 16 12:43 a.m.

WASHINGTON — The biographer Eric Metaxas recently made waves by arguing that
modern science increasingly "makes the case for God."

Writing in The Wall Street Journal, he framed some rather weak arguments about
planetary science, claiming that the parameters for the emergence of life are
so precise and unlikely that they point to divine design. We don't really know
what physical processes drive the development and remarkable resilience of life
— which somehow includes moss on Mount Everest and tube worms in deep-sea
hydrothermal vents — but it strikes me as likely that science will eventually
find an explanation. Further research may reveal how the deck is stacked in
favor of life by impersonal, natural forces. God is probably not needed to fill
this particular gap.

But Metaxas goes on to make a broader, sounder point about the "fine-tuning" of
physical constants that allow an observable universe to exist in the first
place. After centuries of inquiry, we have found that everything that is — the
whole shebang — balances precariously on the head of a pin. If electrons were a
little lighter, there could be no stable stars. If protons were slightly
heavier, no atoms could form. If the weak nuclear force were weaker, there
would be no hydrogen. If the electromagnetic force were stronger, carbon would
decay away. If a variety of physical constants were off by even a smidgen, we
would not exist to engage in science or argue about God. This, presumably,
requires an explanation.

Metaxas' column brought a predictable reaction from a certain type of atheist
who sees no need for an explanation. The universe is because it is. If it were
otherwise, we wouldn't be observing it.

But the belief that our precisely balanced universe is a fluke is in tension
with the scientific method. Physicist Max Tegmark, for example, points to dark
energy as a dramatic example of fine-tuning. If dark energy had a larger
density, no galaxies would have formed. If it had a negative density, the
universe would have collapsed back on itself before life could emerge. Tegmark
imagines the full range of densities for dark energy represented on a dial. In
order to get a habitable universe, the dial needs to be rotated past the
halfway point by a precise, vanishingly minuscule amount. "The fine-tuning
appears extreme enough to be quite embarrassing," Tegmark writes. "To me, an
unexplained coincidence can be a telltale sign of a gap in our scientific
understanding. Dismissing it by saying, 'We got lucky — now stop looking for an
explanation!' is not only unsatisfactory, but also tantamount to ignoring a
potentially crucial clue."

Tegmark is a leading advocate of the theory of the "multiverse. " He explains
fine-tuning by postulating an infinite variety of other universes, in which
physical constants have all possible values. We happen to be located in one of
the habitable versions. The existence of an infinite number of universes has
mind-bending implications. There would be one, for example, in which the
dinosaurs didn't go extinct. In which Hitler died in World War I, or won World
War II. In which the column you are reading differed by one word, or two.

The multiverse allows for fine-tuning without a divine tuner. But it would
change and lower our view of the scientific enterprise. Newton and Einstein
sought to describe the universe in terms of simple, elegant, physical laws and
mathematical equations. "If the multiverse idea is correct," argued MIT
physicist Alan Lightman in "The Accidental Universe," "then the historic
mission of physics to explain all the properties of our universe in terms of
fundamental principles — to explain why the properties of our universe must
necessarily be what they are — is futile, a beautiful philosophical dream that
simply isn't true. Our universe is what it is simply because we are here."

Believing in the multiverse also seems to involve a considerable amount of
faith. "Not only must we accept that basic properties of our universe are
accidental and uncalculable," says Lightman. "In addition, we must believe in
the existences of many other universes. But we have no conceivable way of
observing these other universes and cannot prove their existence. Thus, to
explain what we see in the world and in our mental deductions, we must believe
in what we cannot prove."

There is, of course, another option that explains much but can't be proved.
About a quarter of scientists at elite American universities believe in God.