On 1/20/2015 5:54 PM, Rex Allen wrote:
Hi Telmo,

Is there a better starting point than consciousness?

My main thought was to suggest that the theory of evolution, taken to it's logical conclusion, supports a Kantian division of reality into phenomenal and noumenal realms.

We are entities whose consciousnesses are shaped only with an eye towards what promotes survival and reproduction. Consciousness isn't the least concerned with truth - only with usefulness.

Maybe this explains many of the conundrums that are pondered in this group.

If you completely discard the concept of "truth" and replace it entirely with "evolutionary usefulness" - does that change anything?

That's essentially the thesis of William S. Cooper's book "The Origin of Reason" - that our language, logic and mathematics were driven by evolution. And he suggests how it may go further. Whether you agree with him or not, it's a thought provoking book (and not a long one).