On Mon, Feb 2, 2015  Bruce Kellett <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Maybe because base 12 is more sensible than base 10? The Babylonians, who
> had something to do with our numeral system, worked in base 60. Which is
> why we have 360 degrees in a circle, etc.

I think if we used base 8 computers might have been developed much sooner
than they were. Charles Babbage tried to make a computer 150 years ago but
it used base 10 and was a mechanical nightmare, and with all those
complicated gears and cogs his machine never operated for long without
breaking down. If.he  used base 2 it would have been far more reliable but
to be practical he would have needed to convert the input from base 10 to
base 2 and output from base 2 to base 10, and that's tricky. But converting
from base 2 to base 8 is far easier.

It would be easier to teach children the multiplication table too.

 John K Clark