On 11 February 2015 at 19:03, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> [Brent Meeker]  If consciousness were unnecessary it would not be an
>> epiphenomenon, i.e.
>> something that NECESSARILY accompanies the phenomena of thoughts.  Is heat
>> necessary to random molecular motion?
>

> As I and others have pointed out earlier, you are describing emergence, not
> epiphenomenalism (which is a dualist theory of mind made up when Descartes
> interactionism was shown to be incompatible with the laws of motion).
>
> Nothing inherent to epiphenominalism implies that consciousness must follow
> from the physics beyond your insistence that it does.

If consciousness is due to physics then I think it *can* be shown that
consciousness necessarily follows from any physics that gives rise to
the behaviour of the putatively conscious entity. I invoke Chalmers'
fading qualia argument, which shows that if consciousness were
contingent rather than necessary it would be possible to make partial
zombies. Partial zombies are absurd; if they are not absurd then we
may as well say consciousness does not exist.

--
Stathis Papaioannou