Oops, just discover this unread post. Sorry.

On 22 Jan 2015, at 17:14, David Nyman wrote:

On 22 January 2015 at 08:22, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

Because with sufficiently big infinity in both mind and matter, you can a priori singularize the experience and the body in a way such that duplication is no more possible, and there is no more FPI, and we can use the old identity thesis brain-mind.

But what exactly is a "sufficiently big infinity in both mind and matter"?

We cannot define the notion of finite number, like we cannot define a unique semantic for a sufficiently complex computational states, and so the mind distirbutes on infinities of computations, like the theorie on finite numbers, will get infinities of non standard semantics.

But if we allow the induction axioms for all set of numbers, it can be shown that we can defined univocally the naturel numbers, and their standard semantics (assuming something more complex behind: set theory, and making the notion of proof non effective).

So my making the brain a sufficiently complex infinite machine, using Cantor hig infinities, it is not excluded that we cann attach physically one mind to one machine and vice versa. Both must be related to that infinity.

It is an an ad hoc move, but it means that we might conecive a non computationalism theory of mind which bring back some 1-1 mind-brain identity thesis. The reasoning I do with machine works also with machine+oracle, and this can be used to say that the infinities needed for non-comp and a identity thesis can be expected to be huge. Technically: above kappa (a big cardinal which has some role in set theory). Kappa is so big that the theory ZF + "kappa exists" can prove the consistency of ZF.

By the way, the claim of Stathis's I was referring to was when he said that, even assuming mechanism, a doubter could still ask (of comp) 'why couldn't it all just be dumb arithmetic?'. It's a good question. My rejoinder is that it could indeed just be dumb arithmetic, but should that be the case, the consequence would be the loss of the entire putative epistemology. Only the bare 'arithmetical ontology' would remain. No physics, no people, no zombies, just numbers.

Yes. And the intersting things: theology, philosophy, physics, nature, ... does not depend on the ontology, as long as it is Turing universal.

IN fact comp can pehaps be better put in this way: There is a universal machine, (a version of Church thesis, actially) + I am no more than a universal machine myself. Physics become the study of how machine's dream can glue together, cohere and decohere, etc.. Theology is what machines can hope and fear (Truth on the machines).

If Dennett understood computationalism, and keep his reductionist stance, he must eliminate consciousness, but also matter.

I guess it's easy to be blind to the fact that everything else, beyond the basic ontological assumptions of comp, is essentially epistemological.

Yes.

As I see it, the fundamental 'intensional' assumption of the comp ontology is that nothing more than basic arithmetical relations are required to emulate computation (which itself is closely related to Turing's conceptualisation of a universal computational 'machine'). The basic 'extensional' assumption is then the UD, or more properly its infinite trace UD*.

You don't need to assume the UD. It is part of the basic arithmetical relation. If you assume your brain is Turing emulable, your computations and computational states exists in arithmetical, for exactly the same reason that even, odd, and prime numbers exists.

Beyond this basic ontology, ISTM, everything else that purportedly 'exists' is, provisionally, a question of epistemology.

Yes, except perhaps God (Arithmetical truth). It has both aspect.

That question can only be definitely settled if such putative 'knowledge' can be shown to be possessed, in actuality, by whomsoever asserts a truthful claim to it. Otherwise, it is still merely lurking as an abstract possibility in the infinite wastes of mechanistic extension. The answer can only be found with reference to truth; IOW what follows if one treats the analytic entailment of such mechanistic 'possibilities' seriously *as an actuality*. This is what makes truth-denial in this case catastrophically self- defeating; any such defeat is tantamount to a total demolition of the domain of reference of the entire putative epistemology.

I think so. That is why people invent concept like Matter of God, and then use them to stop research, not to better formulating the question. It is self-defeating and it needs argument by authority, like insult or violence, to persist.

Bruno

David