On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 13 Mar 2015, at 17:57, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
>

>> On 13 Mar 2015, at 08:19, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 1:25 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  On 3/12/2015 1:21 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>>>

>>>  Not me. I'm the opposite, I was always confused by the idea that rocks
>>> are not conscious.
>>>

>>> If you ever have an operation, I suggest you check to see that your
>>> anesthesiologist is not confused.
>>>

>> There's maybe a difference between being a conscious entity and being
>> conscious of something.
>>

>> Does not consciousness entails the consciousness of at least one thing?
>>
>> Even before speculating about an entity (the future "little ego")
>> consciousness seems reflexive to me, before verbalizing.
>>
>> It is the fixed point of the doubt. If we try to doubt everything, we
>> find the indubitable but non justifiable knowledge of one thing.
>>

> My intuitive impression (from some attempts at meditating, for example) is
> that consciousness can exist in a completely self-referential state. But I
> am not certain of this at all. I think this is inline with what you say
> above, and with "cogito ergo sum".
>

> That might be. Thomas Slezak, and myself, like to interpret Descartes in
> arithmetic, so that a doubt of p, is defined by <>~p, and thus ~[]p, and
> the fixed point is the famous Gödel sentence g, which is such that PA
> proves (rationally believes) g <> ~[]g, which should be then, as far as PA
> trust herself and her correctness, true and non believable/justifiable.
> But to get the knowledge itself, which results from that, you need the
> knower variant= [1]p = []p & p. That one has [1]p -> p, and just can't
> doubt everything: he is the one living the fixed point of the doubt.

What does [1]p mean? Is it a reference to first person?

> I think that meditation tries to diminish the dominance of the []p, and
> meditation favor the "p", in the []p & p part of the knower.

I still don't fully grasp the []p & p thing. My naive interpretation would
be that meditation favours []p, given that it sometimes generates a feeling
of identification with the totality of things.

> It leads to the problem that consciousness becomes a feature of the
> arithmetical truth, only restricted by the little ego, owner of the body
> and representations. We might need that God (Truth) is a knower itself, and
> thus a sort of person, because only God would be conscious.

The word "God" still makes me cringe, but this is mostly because of
organized religion. I plan on reading Plotinus soon and see if I change my
mind. But I think I understand and agree with what you're saying, otherwise.