On 15 Mar 2015, at 20:37, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:

http://www.the-tls.co.uk/tls/public/article1523413.ece

An interesting paper that reviews the history on consciousness in philosophy in order to display that

"Twenty years ago, however, an instant myth was born: a myth about a dramatic resurgence of interest in the topic of consciousness in philosophy, in the mid-1990s, after long neglect."

I am not sure that it was a myth. I have wittnessed it, as the subject of consciousness was an ultra-taboo subject, even for most psychologist. Scientist were, more or less consciously, influence by positivisme. There are just been an understanding that positivism and instrumentalistm where incoherent.

It happens that philosophical zombies have been invented already in 18th century

No doubt. After Descartes attempts to solve the mind-body problem, there has been a lot of work on the subject. Leibniz was well aware of the problem. It the problems which are usually answered by the so- called religion, and in fact, it is more or less recent that the subject has been made taboo, due to that influence of the Vienne circle. Wittgenstein, fortunately changed his mind, but not all scientists realize the reason he was forced to do so.

'In 1755 Charles Bonnet observed that God “could create an automaton that would imitate perfectly all the external and internal actions of man”. In 1769, following Locke, he made a nice point against those who resisted materialism on religious grounds: “if someone ever proved that the mind is material, then far from being alarmed, we should have to admire the power that was able to give matter the capacity to think”.'

That is the aristotelian assumption. The belief in some primitive matter. The taking of granted that physics is the fundamental science, and that everything "real" is material.

But no one has ever prove or given an evidence for such a primitive matter.

And we do have samples of non material entity, like the game of chess, the french nationality, the numbers and the mathematical structures, the waves and the singularities.

So Charles Bonnet is right, mind would be material if we are non- machine, and then you need a God to duplicate it, and to make the consistent selection.

Wat would iot mean to make matter thinking, except in the sense that aspect of matter are turing universal, and can implement, thus, other machines, universal or not.

Bonnet is just expressing itself badlly, perhaps, but the resistance is not on religious ground, it is the use of matter which is criticized for being religious without saying.

If matter exists, the question is how matter selects your first person mind state among an infinity of computations (with oracles).

A religion is a solution to the mind-body problem. For historical reasons, perhaps Löbian reasons too, we tolerate the lack of rigor in the field, and we tolerate the argument-per-authority, the fairy tales, etc. I guess machines exploits the consistency of inconsistency right at the start.

But it is a problem which interest all creatures which ask about themselves if they will stop, or not, who they are, and what happens, etc. Universal machine are dumbfounded by such questions. Consciousness is the first mystical state, where you hallucinate, make the experience, that there is a reality/god/truth.

Bruno

Evgenii