On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 09:27:16AM -0400, spudboy100 via Everything List wrote:
> Russell,
>

> This is because academics, worldwide, tend toward the left, and they tend to
> it like a religion, but its more an ideology. An ideology being a faith
> movement. In the US, the academics (nominally all leftists) lean strongly in
> favor of islamists, worldwide. This could, in part, be that the Saudis
> (America's best friend!) have thrown their money around to greedy pols. I
> could send you news reports of the welcoming embrace, and statements of the
> islamists, but if you're a convinced leftist, you won't budge a millimeter-to
> quote old, adolf. I have the sales capabilities of maggot and thus, will
> never be able to sell stocks and bonds or widgets. The people that do like
> your current Rightist guy, in Australia, are likely not in academia. In the
> US, this is called flyover country. Your clique are academics, thus everyone
> you know bends left, and the rest are seen as ignorant rubes. I mean,
> somebody elected elected Tom Abbot, correct?

The general election was more of a protest vote against the previous
government, which had become so odious (whether real or perceived),
that the majority decided to go with Tony Abbott's lot.

Tony Abbott's personal popularity has never been above about 30%, well
below the the opposition leader as preferred prime minister. But
personal popularity often doesn't have much to do with it, unlike a
presidential system, I guess.

Yes - someone elected Tony Abbott. The Liberal party of Australia
elected him, by one vote over his rival Malcolm Turnbull (a far more
popular leader). Since gaining government, Tony Abbott's popularity
has sunk dramatically, so much so that the Liberal Party recently
voted on a spill motion, which Tony narrowly won (ie was not
spilled). We live in interesting times indeed.

Yes academic people do tend to be "centralist", or "progressive",
which in the current state of politics lies somewhat left of the Labor
party, the traditional "leftist" party in Australia. But I mix with a
variety of people, not just academics, but most tend to be fairly well
educated nevertheless. I would say all of them are left of Tony
Abbott, however, even though they may be natural Liberal Party
supporters.

But to restate - nobody I know is a jihadist or islamist apologist,
not even the muslims I know.

Principal, High Performance Coders

 Latest project: The Amoeba's Secret
         (http://www.hpcoders.com.au/AmoebasSecret.html)