> On 4 Apr 2015, at 3:14 am, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>>> ... making your functionalism trivial, if you excuse the straightness.
>>
>> It is not trivial because it makes this (if I may say so) rather
>> profound claim: that it is impossible even for God to make a device
>> that reproduces the observable function of the brain without also
>> reproducing any associated consciousness. Roger Penrose proposes that
>> the brain utilises non-computable physics and that therefore it is not
>> possible to reproduce either the observable function of the brain or
>> its consciousness using a digital computer.
>
> Yes, he defends non-comp (even non-quantum-comp, unlike Hamerov).
>

>> This is logically
>> consistent,
>
> OK, but this shows you agree that we can't prove comp. Only the
> generalisation your-functionalism.

Yes, comp is false if CT is false. But in that case you would be unable to make
a zombie either.

>> even if there is no actual evidence for it. John Searle,
>> on the other hand, believes that it is possible to reproduce the
>> observable function of the brain but that this would not necessarily
>> reproduce consciousness.
>
> Yes, it is another way to disbelieve in comp: believing in zombie.
>

>> Given that consciousness actually exists,
>> which entails that there is a difference between being conscious and
>> not being conscious, this is not logically consistent because it would
>> lead to partial zombies.
>
> Almost OK. What about someone who say that as long as 1/4 of its biological
> brain is organic he is fully conscious, but once more that 3/4 of the brain
> is digital, then it becomes a total zombie. In that case: no partial zombie.
> (just try to find a logical loophole ..., don't mind to much, I do agree with
> "Chalmers' fading qualia point").

There must then be some crucial indivisible component responsible for the flip
(for if it were not indivisible you could still make a partial zombie). It is
not inconceivable as a partial zombie is, but it is wildly implausible and
probably not consistent with  the assumption that consciousness is a
naturalistic process in the brain.