Russell Standish wrote:
On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 12:51:30PM +1000, Bruce Kellett wrote:

So no conscious moment, even in with a dovetailer in Platonia, can
ever be completely counterfactually correct, because there will
always be related sequences of states that never get to be computed
-- no completed infinities even in arithmetic.

Hi Bruce, that's not quite right. All computations eventually get
computed by the UD within a finite (but unbounded) number of
computational steps. Only in a non-robust ontology does this not happen.

I think you need to unpack this a little. The dovetailer is running all possible programs. That is an infinite number of programs, much less an infinite number of computational steps. How can you say that there are only a finite number of steps? And I do not know what finite but unbounded means in this context. It has meaning in closed universe models, but scarcely in arithmetic?

Perhaps you could argue that the infinite sum over all computations
supporting a given observer moment will never complete in a finite
time, but I think that poses a problem for computing the measure
(already recognised as an open problem), rather than being an isue per
se with UDA 1-7.

I have difficulty relating the number of computational steps to any physical time. This UD is running on arithmetic in Platonia. Each step takes no time, it is merely a relation between numbers. But if steps are numbered with successive integers, there is an infinite number of them and it cannot complete. It is not a matter of time, it is a matter of infinite integers: after any number of steps there is still an infinite number left to complete.

The measure problem is insoluble without some further input into the model to restrict the possibilities.

Bruce