On 23 Apr 2015, at 03:04, John Clark wrote:

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015  Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

>> I just want to know the meaning of a particular word in your strange non-standard vocabulary. It would be silly of me to argue over definitions so I'll accept any meaning of the word "God" you give me as long as it's clear and you use it consistently.

> God is by definition the ultimate reality or the ultimate truth which explains why you are here and now, and conscious,.

That is 100% inconsistent with what you said in your post just a few hours ago, you said your definition of God was NOT a intelligent conscious being who created the universe and knows everything including what our prayers are. Make up your mind! How can I say if I believe in "God" or not if you keep changing the definition of the word every few hours?

See Liz's answer.

> I do not believe that god is an unintelligent blob, nor do I believe it is not an unintelligent blob.

Yes that's what I thought. Or to say the same thing with different words, what you believe is neither true nor false, what you believe is so worthless it's not even wrong, what you believe is gibberish.

> Definitions of words are arbitrary but both parties in a debate must agree on those meanings or they literally don't know what they're arguing about.

> You talk like if some person have problem with all this. Only fundamentalist believers have problems here, not scientists (as far as I know).

So in your Humpty Dumpty dictionary a "fundamentalist believer" is somebody who believes that in having a debate maybe just maybe it might be a good idea to know what the hell the argument is about.

And this should not be confused with a "fundamentalist aristotelian" which is somebody who thinks that Aristotle was by far the WORST physicist who ever lived and even in the field of philosophy was vastly overrated.

Right, but you seem sometimes to defend "Aristotle theology".

In my opinion, Aristotle was a good physicist, because he begins the theory, and was clear enough to be refuted.

Hi (Aristotle) theology is unclear to me, so I reserve my opinion on it, but what we call Aristotelians, are those who believe or assume some "Primary Matter. The platonist, in a large sense, are those who doubt the (primary) existence of that primary matter, and are open to the idea that Matter might be an emergent or secondary concept. This as lead to the beginning of (systematic) mathematics. At the start, "mathematician" meant "mathematicalist", people, who, like Xeusippes, defended the idea that the ultimate reality is described by mathematics, and that physics is a sort of contingency. With comp, the ultimate reality is a part of arithmetic, but physics is not a contingency: physics is the "absolute" part of the machine's observable modality: an ivariant for both consciousness and phi_i (and thus the dream problem, the measure problem, etc.).

You ask me a definition of God. There are none. God is a term like consciousness, which does not admit direct definition. I use the more general one, on which most people agree: the term "God" designates the ONE on which we bet as being the creator, or the reason, or the cause, or the explanation of everything. Then you can compare the religions, all of them, including the monist materialist one ("atheist").

A muslim can agree that Allah verifies the definition above. An atheist can agree that "The material reality" plays the role of God, with that definition, as he believes that there is a physical material reality, and that it is the cause or explanation of everything.

That general definition helps to be as neutral as possible, when reasoning with the computationalist hypothesis.

Another reason to use God, in that sense, is that it helps to remind that the assumption of a primitive physical universe is an assumption. There are evidence for a physical universe, but there are not much evidence for a primary physical universe. On the contrary, the difficulties of the mind-body problem have been a constant remind that science has not get many clues on that problem, except the "brain- machine" and now the discovery of computer science. Then the quantum interference shows that the formalism of QM kicks back, and leads some physicists, like tegmark, to also contemplate the possibility that physics is not the fundamental science.

My main abstract axioms for God are "unameable" and "transcendent", i.e. not justifiable, not provable, ... This becomes theorems in the machine's theology with the definition above: machines cannot prove the existence of a reality verifying their belief (because that would give them a way to prove their consistency, which they can't by incompleteness).

The term God designates what we ignore, including a part that we have to ignore to be able to assign meaning on the relative realities.

  John K Clark