meekerdb wrote:
On 4/28/2015 10:59 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
meekerdb wrote:
On 4/28/2015 9:18 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
meekerdb wrote:

On 4/28/2015 7:27 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
But you fall foul of the essential slippage here. Arithmetic certainly supports all calculations -- as I point out elsewhere, all calculations ultimately reduce to counting. But this does not mean that all calculations exist in Platonia. The results of all calculations might exist there, but not the calculations themselves.

That's where I think Bruno's idea diverges. Because "all computation" can be defined by a UD, and every such definition will be extensively equivalent per Church-Turing, it must exist in Platonia. Bruno uses "exist" as in the logical form "There exists an even prime number."

I think there might be a distinction being drawn between "computation" and "calculation". I m not quite sure what this distinction might be, but in the sense that a calculation is an operation that can be performed with pencil and paper, and takes physical time in a physical world, I do not see how this can work in Platonia, which is timeless. There is not an ordered sequence of steps there, neither spatial nor temporal ordering make any sense in Platonia. There might be a logical ordering, but all of the steps exist simultaneously. Platonia is the timeless world of forms, so although there exists an indefinite number of relations between any two integers, x and y, none of these paths or relations is ever actually calculated there. In other words, all valid results 'exist' in Platonia, but the equivalent computations do not. Computations (calculations) are left to mere mortals.

I think the idea is that computations are proofs, i.e. proof that this algorithm with this input produces this output. So they have Goedel numbers which specify the steps of the proof and so "exist" in Platonia.

That seems a likely interpretation. Does the Goedel number give the whole ordered proof?

The number encodes the whole proof in order. But it isn't unique; there are infinitely many ways to define a Goedel numbering.

So how does my Platonic consciousness know the difference between a different Goedel numbering of the same proof, or the same Goedel numbering of a different proof?

Or is there a separate number for each step? One of my problems is that the notion of a 'step' in a computation or proof is not well-defined. That seems to depend on the architecture of your 'computer'.

That's where Bruno relies on the equivalence formal digital computation methods, the Church-Turing thesis: Turing, recursive functions, lambda calculus,

But that formal equivalence ensures only that for a given algorithm on a given input, the output is the same. It says nothing about the intermediate steps. Unless you break your algorithm down to simple counting or some such.

I am an impoverished physicist and the only computer I can afford is the simplest Turing machine that I put together out of a few bits of wood and a couple of pebbles. I have an unlimited supply of paper tape, so I can do any calculation whatsoever -- it might just take me a bit longer than it takes other people! Each step on my Turing machine never gets better than adding a unit to some already calculated number. So the steps are just counting, or else moving the tape about. But I can 'prove' any valid relation between numbers that anyone else can 'prove'. Are my 'steps' rich enough to produce consciousness and a physical world? After all, each 'step' is a proof of a valid arithmetical result.

I think it's enough to create a consciousness IN a physical world created for it to be conscious OF. But that's not exactly a reversal of physics and psychology - they are on a par and both derivative from computation.

However, I'm not clear on what the Goedel number of an algorithm that doesn't halt would be, since it either doesn't have a result or has an infinite sequence of results, depending on how you look at "results".

Exactly. The nature of a 'computation' in Platonia needs some clarification. Goedel numbers are, after all, just as timeless and static as any other number in Platonia.

And even if it is clear that doesn't mean it exists. The question is whether a value of a variable that satisfies a predicate implies that the value "exists". I think there are different kinds of existence and the existence of numbers doesn't entail the existence of electrons.

I think we agreed on that a while ago.

Bruce