From: LizR <lizj...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sat, May 9, 2015 10:15 pm
Subject: Re: "Physicists Are Philosophers, Too"

I'm not so keen to read (or watch) stuff online that takes more than a few
minutes, but I will almost certainly read that in full when my handy
go-anywhere, random access information storage system (also known as the paper
copy of "Scientific American") arrives in the post. In the meantime the bits I
looked at seemed to be ambiguous as to whether the small-p platonic objects
that are assumed to exist despite the impossibility of proof or direct
observation are of a mathematical, or what is called on this list "primary
physical" nature. But maybe I missed something, and it will make more sense
when I get around to reading the whole thing.

And yes, ultimately science does need to provide hopefulness to be a worthwhile
enterprise - as it already does for millions of people suffering from diseases,
genetic conditions, lack of shelter - or just a lack of entertainment - and so
on. (And as it would do for millions more if the richer people in the world got
in touch with their humanity - as some are doing, but not yet enough - and
helped out those less fortunate, especially the millions of children who still
die of preventable diseases.)

PS there   is a mention of Aristotle, but only in passing.