On 26 May 2015, at 22:32, meekerdb wrote:

On 5/26/2015 2:10 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 26 May 2015, at 06:59, Bruce Kellett wrote:

LizR wrote:
On 26 May 2015 at 05:45, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com <mailto:johnkcl...@gmail.com >> wrote:
  Of that I have no opinion because nobody knows what "comp" means,
least of all Bruno. Comp is the theory that consciousness is the product of Turing-emulable processes, i.e. that it's a computation.

Actually, that strictly does not follow. All that follows is that a computer can emulate certain physical processes upon which consciousness supervenes.

In which theory?

This does not mean that consciousness is a computation, in Platonia or anywhere else. All that we know from the evidence is that consciousness supervenes on physical brains.

Assuming the primitive existence of the physical brain.

That is NOT assumed. All that is *hypothesized* is that consciousness supervenes on a physical brain. No one said it was "primitive" or "fundamental" nor is that relevant. If you can show that the physical brain is a consequence of arithmetic, then you will accomplished a great feat. But it will still be the case that consciousness supervenes on that brain.

That is why I asked "in which theory". You are right, but this conerned the human consciousness. Then what you say is part of the definition of comp.

But there is no evidence for that. It is a strong extrapolation, and it failed (since 1500 years) to account for the existence of consciousness. That is why the mind-body problem is not yet solved.

And what is nice with comp, is that not only computer science does offer a theory of mind and consciousness, but it explains conceptually the origin of the physical appearances from elementary arithmetic (and this in a testable way).

But it doesn't. It just says that given comp1, and that comp2 is entailed by comp1, there must be such an explanation. It's like saying if God created the universe then there's an explanation for why it's the way it is: God wanted it that way.

Yes, it is like that, but with less fuzzy notions leading to testable consequences. We cannot test God's willingness, but we can compare the comp logic of the observable with the logic inferred from the observation of nature. The boolean Newtonian physics is refuted, and the quantum logic is vindicated.