Hi Brent

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 1:17 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 6/3/2015 7:16 AM, Brian Tenneson wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, June 3, 2015 at 2:16:31 AM UTC-7, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>>  On 02 Jun 2015, at 20:10, Brian Tenneson wrote:
>>
>>  Grammatical systems just might be the type of thing Tegmark is looking
>> for that is a framework for all mathematical structures... or at least a
>> large class of them.
>>
>>  I am still exploring the idea of grammatical system induction.
>>

>>  I am not sure what you mean by grammatical induction. Is that not
>> equivalent with the omega-induction principles, like with PA?
>>

>  It is described in this document:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1amDb4Yti4egpKfcO2oLcnGAH8UpC8_tKb7ivuH3AT7A/edit?usp=sharing
>

> A couple of points I don't understand.  First, G is a set of sentences.
> I'm not sure what "any" means.

It means that G is a subset of the set of utterances.

> Does it mean G is all grammatical sentences?

G is the set of grammatically-correct utterances for the formal system
(A,G,X,I).  Yes, all of them.  That does not mean that G needs to be the
entire set of utterances though.

> Is G assumed finite, or countable?

There are no assumptions on G other than it is a subset of the set of all
utterances using symbols in the alphabet A.

> Second, why is H defined as an element of G^n (Cartesian product of sets)
> instead of just a subset of G?

H is a *subset* of a Cartesian power of G, not an *element* of a Cartesian
power of G.

It is possible that a rule of inference is not defined for all of G^n, so H
is the domain of the rule of inference in question.  Modus ponens, for
instance, in the FOL (first order logic) formal system is only defined so
that it is this function:
Modus ponens = {( (p, p-->q) , q ) : p is in element of G, p-->q is an
element of G, and q is an element of G}.  Modus ponens is not defined for
all of G^2. For instance, (p,q-->p) is not in the domain of Modus Ponens.

In first order logic, n is usually 1 or 2.

> Third, if [H->G] is a function doesn't that implies that T(H) ends with a
> unique G, which is not generally true of inferences.
>
> Well, I checked this list of some rules of inference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rules_of_inference

ALL of them have a single conclusion, which is an element of G.

Which inference rules have multiple conclusions?  We can make the minor
adjustment that T is in [H-->G^m] instead of T is in [H-->G].  But I don't
see why we have to.