On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 6:34 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 30 Aug 2015, at 03:08, Russell Standish wrote:
>
> Well as people probably know, I don't believe C. elegans can be
>> conscious in any sense of the word. Hell - I have strong doubts about
>> ants, and they're massively more complex creatures.
>>

> I think personally that C. Elegans, and Planaria (!), even amoeba, are
> conscious, although very plausibly not self-conscious.
>
> I tend to think since 2008 that even RA is already conscious, even
> maximally so, and that PA is already as much self-conscious than a human
> (when in some dissociative state).

What realization did you have in 2008 that changed your mind?

> But I don't know if PA is more or less conscious than RA. That depends of
> the role of the higher part of the brain consists in filtering
> consciousness or enacting it.
>

>> But it probably won't be long before we simulate a mouse brain in toto
>> - about 2 decades is my guess, maybe even less given enough dollars -
>> then we're definitely in grey philosophical territory :).
>>

> I am slightly less optimistic than you. It will take one of two decades
> before we simulate the hippocampus of a rat, but probably more time will be
> needed for the rest of their brain.

Perhaps 2 decades from simulating a rat brain on a PC, but super computers
are generally up to a million times more powerful than a single CPU, which
means they are roughly 2 decades ahead in computing power (assuming annual
doubling in computational capacity).

> And the result can be a conscious creature, with a quite different
> consciousness that a rat, as I find plausible that pain are related to the
> glial cells and their metabolism, which are not  taken into account by the
> current "copies".

Interesting. Why do you think glial cell metabolism plays a roll in pain
sensation?

Jason