Digital physics rests upon the Strong Church-Turing Thesis, which posits
that nature does not admit non-computable real numbers:

   -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church%E2%80%93Turing_thesis#Philosophical_implications

AI researcher Ben Goertzel discusses the "Hypercomputable Humanlike
Intelligence hypothesis, which suggests that the crux of humanlike
intelligence is some sort of mental manipulation of uncomputable entities –
i.e., some process of “hypercomputation” [1-6].":

   -
   http://goertzel.org/papers/CognitiveInformaticsHypercomputationPaper.pdf

This recent article seems to imply that there non-computable real numbers
exist in nature. Would you agree? If so, does this not falsify the Strong
Church Turing Thesis? That then seems to make the HHI hypothesis possible,
and if the HHI hypothesis could be verified then according to Goertzel's
argument science would never be able to describe cognition. (He's concerned
about the implications that would have for neuroscience and AI, naturally.):

   -

http://factor-tech.com/connected-world/21062-a-fundamental-quantum-physics-problem-has-been-proved-unsolvable/

I've only come across this mailing list after reading Standish's "Theory of
Nothing." On my blog, I have been compiling various recent work regarding
the fabric of reality. It attempts to tie together Chaitin's metabiology
(life as evolving software), Hoffman's Interface Theory of Perception and
Dynamics of Two Conscious Agents, modeling by Deutsch/Wallace of the Born
rule using rational agents and decision theory, Standish's derivation of QM
as implementation of evolution, Alex Wissner-Gross's Entropic Causal Forces
relating intelligence to emergence/entropy, Frieden's Extreme Physical
Information which seems to explain evolution as a program applying the
anthropic principle and operating on particles and ideas (which are simply
dual aspects of information, taken from a multiverse of infinite bit
strings a la Standish or plentitude of mathematical structures a la
Tegmark). It also considers the work of Bolognesi in "Algorithmic Causal
Sets for a Computational Spacetime" and Schmidhuber's Goedel Machine,Theory
of Creativity, and universal dovetailer. I suppose my current hypothesis
about the fabric of reality (prior to fully grasping Tegmark's hypothesis)
can be summarized as follows:

Particles and ideas are two sides of the same coin: information. Driven by
the anthropic Extreme Physical Information principle that nature is kind to
observers (as efficiently as possible-- Occam's razor), ideas and
"particles" evolve algorithmically in much the same way that genes do. What
remains to be answered is why nature should be kind to observers, or -
perhaps more fundamentally- what does it really mean to be an observer? Is
it just a rational agent, similar perhaps to a Goedel machine? When we say
nature is kind to observers, do we really imply that the rational agents
ensure their own existence by maximizing novel pattern compression progress
and possible future actions (as suggested by Hoffman's Conscious Agent
Thesis)? Please forgive me if I repeat myself or produce "word salad" -- it
can be difficult for me to sequence my thoughts linearly as I struggle to
get them all down, so upon request I will clarify what I mean by anything
above. I appreciate your patience and am eager to read your reply.