On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote

​>> ​
>> arithmetic
>> ​,​
>> ​ ​e
>> lementary
>> ​ or otherwise, doesn't lead to complexity or to anything else.
>> Dawkins like Darwin was interests in ​what matter can do (like produce
>> life), and without matter
>

> ​> ​
> That idea has been refuted.
> ​

​Where?​

> ​>
> Even without primary matter, arithmetic leads to both the material
> complexity

​How can you have ​
material complexity
​ if you don't have any material?​

​> ​
> and the non material one.

​Show me an example of ​
material complexity
​but don't use any material (and that includes electrons) when you do so.​

> ​> ​
> Your invocation to your God (Matter) not only explain nothing,

Wow, calling a guy known for disliking religion religious, never heard that
one before, at least I never heard it before I was 12.

> ​> ​
> how does it select the material computations among the non material one.

​Easy, ​non material computations don't exist. Now I have a question for
you, how do "non material computations" select the computations that
produce correct answers from the infinite number of computations that do
not?

> ​> ​
> How does it manage to make the non material computations non conscious?

​
I'm not sure what "it" is but undoubtedly "it" does "it"  the same way"
​ ​
it
​ ​
"makes non-dragons
​ ​
non-dragons.
​ ​
Dragons are not conscious and neither are
​ ​
non material computations, in fact non material computations
​ ​
are not anything.

> ​> ​
> Invoking a God (personal or not) will never work in Science.

Wow, calling a guy known for disliking religion religious, never heard that
one before, at least I never heard it before I was 12.

​>> ​
>> ​And Darwin showed how iteration with some random variation thrown in
>> will produce complexity if the resources ​needed for reproduction are not
>> infinite. Or to say exactly the same thing more simply, Evolution is just
>> random mutation and natural selection.
>

> ​> ​
> How could we know the mutations are all random. Some are, some are not.
> Bacteria already can augment the rate of mutations by the activity of some
> genes.

​Some genes may increase the rate of copying errors but those genes have no
foresight, they just make the machinery crank out more mistakes; on rare
occasions one of those mistakes might get lucky and make reproduction more
likely, but it's still random.  ​

​> ​
> I think that even if evolution is, at some level, "just" random mutation
> and natural selection,

​Mutation is random but ​
natural selection
​ most certainly is not! ​And
natural selection
​ could not exist if the *PHYSICAL* resources that life needs were
infinite, but they are not. ​

​> ​
> there is an infinity of intermediate levels showing that higher level
> programming can be playing some major role in evolution.

If there is an infinity of anything then it's not physical
​,​
and thus Natural Selection is impossible
​,​
and thus Evolution is impossible
​,​
and thus the spontaneous production of the complexity needed to produce
intelligence is impossible.

> ​> ​
> sex is already such a thing.  It accelerates the genetical dialog between
> individuals, allowing an acceleration of the growing of diversity.

​True, but sex is physical so I don't see how that helps your argument. Is
the integer 42 male or female?​

> ​> ​
> To say that Evolution is just random mutation and natural selection is
> like saying that the program Deep Blue is just a bunch of Nands.

​Yes, it is like saying that, and both statements are true. They're stated
in a rather undramatic way perhaps, but are true nevertheless.

 John K Clark