Better to have a machine obsessed with making medical cures, and biological
enhancements. We need this even more, then, what I call "A Guy in a Box."

-----Original Message-----
From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Sep 11, 2016 11:15 am
Subject: Re: Non-Evolutionary Superintelligences Do Nothing, Eventually

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 7:07 AM, Telmo Menezes <te...@telmomenezes.com> wrote:

​> ​
That is one type of worry. The other (e.g.: the "paper clip" scenario)

​The paper clip scenario could only happen in a intelligence that had a top
goal that was fixed and inflexible. Humans have no such goal, not even the goal
of self preservation, and there is a reason Evolution never came up with a mind
built that way, Turing proved in 1935 that a mind like that couldn't work. You
could have a machine with very little intelligence obsessed with making paper
clips, rather like a virus is obsessed with making copies of itself, but in the
long run Mr. Jupiter Brain will be able to outwit the dumb machine just as we
are making progress in outwitting viruses.

 John K Clark        ​