On 16 Sep 2016, at 15:41, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 1:52 PM, spudboy100 via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Yes. Meditation to me feels like an attempt to gain control over
biology. Or perhaps just to make biology shut up for a second.

I think that its more an attempt to calm the nervous system, by focused relaxation. Its the amygdala's way of quieting the fight-flight process of
the amygdala, and using the cerebrum to do this. .

Sure, but the implications of this relaxation can be deep, depending
on your model of what consciousness is.

It can also be a deep personal experience, and here we enter
non-communicable territory. Trying to communicate the non-communicable
leads to Bruno's "theological trap" or, as it is more commonly known,
organized religion.

Lao-Ze said: the wise stays mute, the fool talks.
Wittgenstein said that we should not speak about what we can't speak about. Damascius wrote 3000 pages to explain that when talking about the ineffable even just one sentence is too much and miss the point.

Of course this leads immediately to a paradox. We can ask to Wittgenstein what are you talking about? We can ask to Damascius if 3000 pages might not been far worse than one sentence?
And point to Lao-Ze that he is talking right now ...

Computationalism gives a way out, by CONTINUALLY reminding that computationalism requires an act of faith, and that its truth does not belong to any scientific theory, not even as an axiom. The contradiction if prevented by only communicating conditional sentences, like: "IF comp is true and if x is a self-referentially correct machine, then ...".

It is the separation between G* and G which handle well that "paradox", and, if well understood, prevents computationalist theologian to fall in the theological trap.

To take the simplest example, the machine cannot prove <>t, nor can she proves that, that is ~[]<>t, but she can prove that IF she is consistent, then she can't prove that she is consistent (<>t -> ~[]<>t).

Bruno