On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 3:42 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

​>> ​
>> ​You were correct when ​
>> ​w​
>> hen ​you said "he is duplicated", therefore while in H any question of
>> the form "what will he...?" is meaningless because "he" is duplicated and
>> the personal pronoun is ambiguous after that.
>

> ​> ​
> Given the protocole, and the assumptions and definitions given, there is
> no ambiguity at all.

​I am right here in Helsinki right now, in the future what one and only one
city will I see after the experiment ​is over? In the real world, and in
any world that doesn't have people duplicating machines, that question
makes perfect sense and the personal pronouns in it cause no problems. And
you're right, a ten year old can understand the question, even a five year
old could. That's because the person who wrote "I am right here in Helsinki
right now" has one and only one successor in the future and thus there is a
unique answer to the question. However if people duplicating machines are
introduced, as is done in the thought experiment, then the person who wrote
 "​I am right here in Helsinki right now" does *NOT* have a unique
successor, and so the question does *NOT* have a unique answer, in fact it
doesn't have an answer at all because due to the wording the "question" is
not a question at all, it is gibberish. It takes more than a question mark
to make a question.

​>> ​
>> but for that to work after the thought experiment is all over you've got
>> to tell us what the correct prediction turned out to be so we can see that
>> the correct prediction was not made. So what would the correct prediction
>> have been, M or H?
>

> ​> ​
> None. It is "M or H".

​So now we know the answer, it's "M or H" . Unfortunately we don't know
exactly (or even approximately) ​

​what the question was, not in a world that has 1p ​duplicating machines .
It's like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where the ultimate answer
was known to be 42 but nobody knew what the ultimate question was.

​> ​
> About the 3p, or 3-1p view.

​After all these years I still ​

​can't figure out the difference between the 3p view and the  ​
3-1p view
​.  ​Can You?

John K Clark