On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 12:14:27 PM UTC+1, telmo_menezes wrote:

> > Then they built monuments to science and progress, made to inspire awe
> > and fear, just like cathedrals. An example is the Fernsehturm in
> > Berlin, made to resemble the Sputnik and the be seen from afar. It was
> > also a powerful TV signal transmitter, in an attempt to silence the
> > dangerous transmissions from the west. People who like facts and
> > reason are not afraid of debate. They don't try to silence the
> > opposition.
> >

> > They also don't use words to obfuscate meaning.
>
> I don't think any of us is doing that. We are debating definitions,
> which is arguably 90% of philosophy.
>

> > Then why do people feel the need to crate the word "agnostic"?
> >

> > I think it's a cop out to avoid the question of whether the God of
> theism
> > exists.  Agnostics were originally people who were not just uncertain
> about
> > God, they held that the question was impossible to know anything about,
> > a-gnostic.   So it was not a "nuanced" position - epistemologically is
> was
> > an extreme position and so deserved a name.
>
> Yes, I tend to agree with this epistemological extreme, because I
> think it is a necessary implication of Gödel's theorems.

This assumes that Gödel's theorems (which one and how?) force a general
epistemological extreme concerning knowledge that reads as though Gödel's
theorems should force people into strong forms of agnosticism. "We don't
know" in some unclear general philosophical sense involving the beliefs and
positions of other folks in real life IS NOT a necessary implication of
Gödel's theorems. Even assuming it were such a necessary implication: how
could one even posit formal arithmetic to assume we are universal machines
to get to Gödel in the first place? You have to assume that people are
machines, Church Thesis etc. with Gödel.

What is implied by discussing philosophy in a general sense is not subject
to formal rules of inference. Folks run into danger of confusing the
results of formal rules of inference (and the precise systems to which they
apply in their bounded study of arithmetic say), with much broader ideas
that are much less clear. What is philosophically implied by a scientific
theory is NOT determined exclusively by its internal rules, derivations,
proofs etc.; it is just as much a matter of interpretation, opinion,
argument, language and personal beliefs limited only by vast boundaries of
the mind as with thought in general.

When I read "convert" in your original post, it exposes a mindset that can
appear to confuse the clarity of formal systems and their results with
reality. Or worse, a mindset that exploits the universal presence of some
terms, e.g. incompleteness, system, reasoning etc. to opportunistically
frame discourse to advance the successful appearance of some assumed
authority or narrative. Real potential for misleading obfuscation here. I
wonder where all the humility and agnosticism went? Such lack of clarity
should be avoided, if we're not just kidding around and if we're kidding
around, I missed the punch line or the beauty of the thing, in which case
the apologies are mine. PGC