In my view, Penrose's theory that computation could not explain human
thought was based on the flawed idea that there exist problems that humans
could solve which no computer could. I prepared the following to offer my
explanation for why this is an unsupported supposition:

-------------

In general, modern theories of consciousness react to the consequences of
the Church-Turing thesis in one of three ways, which has yielded the
following three philosophical camps:

Non-computable physicists

Weak AI proponents

Computationalists

Believe human thought involves physical processes that are non-computable,
and therefore conclude that it’s impossible to replicate the behavior of a
human brain using a computer.

Believe the behavior of the human brain can be replicated by computer, but
assume such a reproduction, no matter how good, would not possess a mind or
consciousness.

Believe the behavior of the human brain can be replicated by a computer,
and assume that when the reproduction is sufficiently faithful, it
possesses a mind and conscious.

Descartes reason for rejecting mechanism was that he believed no machine
could be engineered with enough complexity to account for human language
and thought. Yet today, it is nearly universally accepted (among
biologists, physicists, cognitive scientists and philosophers) that such
machines are possible, for unless human beings violate the laws of physics,
we ourselves are examples of such machines: machines that can think.

Yet, not everyone agrees that the behaviors exhibited by we “human
machines” can be replicated by the kind of machines Turing described. It
may be that some element of human reasoning relies on a physical process
that is not computable. For example, something that is infinite in
complexity or fundamentally nondeterministic.

The English mathematician and physicist Roger Penrose falls into this camp.
He has argued that human thought cannot be emulated by any algorithm or
computer. This argument, known as the Lucas-Penrose argument, is based on
the observation that there are certain problems which no computer is able
to solve. A famous example of which is the halting problem, first described
by Turing in his 1936 paper.

The halting problem is: given an arbitrary computer program, determine
whether that program will, if started, ever complete (halt). In the same
paper, Turing proved that regardless of the approach (algorithm) employed
by the computer, there would always exist some programs for which it was
impossible to answer the halting question.

The British philosopher John Lucas and Roger Penrose both considered this
limitation of computers to be clear evidence of the superiority of man over
(Turing) machines. It further inspired Penrose to propose, in his 1989 book The
Emperor’s New Mind, that non-algorithmic (not Turing emulable) processes
must be involved in the brain. This would have to be in order to explain
why humans could solve these problems while computers could not.

Yet, all currently known laws of physics (with the notable exception of
wave-function collapse) are deterministic, and can be modeled by Turing
machines. This led Penrose to propose that the currently known laws of
physics are inadequate to explain the workings of human thought, and that
some undiscovered physics holds the key to understanding the workings of
the mind.

Penrose, together with the anesthesiologist and consciousness researcher
Stuart Hameroff, speculated that the brain may harness quantum mechanical
effects, such as wave-function collapse, or somehow makes use of (the
presently not well understood) quantum gravity to achieve its unique
reasoning abilities.

However, Lucas’s and Penrose’s argument contains an overlooked assumption:
that humans were capable of solving the halting problem. Certainly, a human
programmer or team of programmers can examine a program and figure out
whether or not it will ever complete. Even if it is a very complex program,
given enough time, or a skilled enough team, a determination can eventually
be made. Or so they believed.

As it turns out, it is quite easy to write a computer program such that
whether or not it ever completes depends on some, as of yet unknown, result
in mathematics. For example, in number theory the Goldbach conjecture
hypothesizes
that every even number greater than 2 can be represented as the sum of two
prime numbers. Despite countless efforts by mathematicians since 1742, and
even an offered prize of $1,000,000 to anyone who could prove or disprove
it, the truth or falsehood of the conjecture remains unknown.

A program based on the Goldbach conjecture might look something like this:

Step 1: Set X = 4
Step 2: Set R = 0
Step 3: For each Y from 1 to X, if both Y and (X – Y) are prime, set R = 1
Step 4: If R = 1, Set X = X + 2 and go to Step 2
Step 5: If R = 0, print X and halt

This simple program searches for a counterexample to the Goldbach
conjecture. If the Goldbach conjecture is false, this program (given enough
time) will disprove it by printing an even number that can’t be represented
as the sum of two primes and entitle its discoverer to everlasting fame. As
of 2014, every even number up to 4,000,000,000,000,000,000 has been
checked, and so far no exceptions to the rule have been found.

But the fact that an exception hasn’t been found doesn’t mean there isn’t
one. There remain quite a few numbers left to try. Yet if no exceptions
exist, this program will go on forever, stuck in an infinite loop in which
the computer searches for a number that doesn’t exist (as fruitlessly as
trying to find an even number that ends in 5).

We see that if the Goldbach conjecture is false, the program finds an
exception and halts, but if it’s true then the program loops forever and
never reaches the halted state.

With this example we see that despite the simplicity of the program,
determining whether or not this program halts has yet to be solved by any
person. And since proving that it halts or doesn’t is equivalent to solving
the Goldbach conjecture, there were a million dollars available to anyone
who could have proved whether or not the above program halts. Yet, despite
being offered for two years (between 2000 and 2002) the prize went
unclaimed.

Lucas and Penrose assumed the impossibility of the halting problem didn’t
apply to humans, but as it happens, it’s impossibility applies equally to
humans as it does to computers. In 1931, the Austrian logician Kurt Gödel
proved that within any given mathematical framework some mathematical
statements cannot be proved or disproved.

When a program’s continued operation depends on statements that are
unprovable under some mathematical framework, then solving the halting
problem is equally impossible for humans as it is for any computer when
working within that framework. So the halting problem’s impossibility
does apply
to humans, and there never was any evidence to suggest we possess special,
inherently non-computable, mental abilities or that there remains some
undiscovered non-computable physics that gets put to use by our brains.

Penrose’s idea that human thought requires an undiscovered physics was
based on an invalid assumption. Accordingly, this theory has remained a
fringe view, and has attracted criticism from computer scientists and
physicists.

The artificial intelligence researcher Marvin Minsky said, “[Penrose] tries
to show, in chapter after chapter, that human thought cannot be based on
any known scientific principle.”, and elaborated, “one can carry that quest
too far by only seeking new basic principles instead of attacking the real
detail. This is what I see in Penrose’s quest for a new basic principle of
physics that will account for consciousness.”

Max Tegmark also tested the feasibility Penrose’s and Hameroff’s idea that
the brain might harnesses wave-function collapse as part of its operation.
Tegmark determined that particles in the brain can remain in a state of
superposition for at most one 10 trillionth of a second. This time period
is billions of times shorter than the fastest neurons can fire and thus the
effect could have no meaningful impact on the behavior of neurons in the
brain.

Ongoing work by IBM's Blue Brain Project, which has the stated goal of
reverse engineering the mammalian brain, appears to further refute the idea
that what the brain does is not computable. The director of the Blue Brain
Project, Henry Markram believes that he and his team have created the first
biologically accurate model of a small section of a rat’s brain.

Applying simulated electrical impulses to their neural model, the simulated
neurons began to respond just like a real neural circuit: clusters of
connected neurons fired together, the cells wired themselves together and
large scale patterns of activity flashed across the entire model. This
model did not include any quantum mechanical effects, (nor any unknown
physical laws), yet its behavior matched the observations of groups of real
neurons.

The positive results of the Blue Brain Project suggest that the brain
operates according to presently known physical laws, all of which are
computable. Given this, together with the realization that the halting
problem is generally insoluble (not just insoluble for computers), we can,
with some confidence, reject the hypothesis that human thought requires
non-computable physics. In doing so, two possibilities remain: weak AI and
computationalism.

Jason