On Sat, May 06, 2017 at 12:08:10PM -0700, Brent Meeker wrote:

> That's what I was afraid of.  Your theory successfully predicts it
> because it predicts "everything", including people drink tequila and
> don't get drunk.

This thread reminds me of a time when I when I was in year 10 in
boarding school, and a group of us 15 year olds had spent the evening
sinking a slab of beer on the school oval. Probably enough for a
school suspension if we were caught, which we weren't.

Anyway, I have this distinct memory of one of the students (not me)
wandering up and down the dorm, deriving the formula for relativistic
temporal dilation from first principles out loud. When asked about
this aberrant behaviour, he said he was testing whether he was still
any good at physics. Effectively doing the experiment mentioned
above. From what I remember, being the only other physics nerd in my
dorm, he did it correctly. I didn't even realise he knew any
relativity until then!

Anyway, back to our sheep (as they say in French). Bruno has been
reluctant to really address the question of physical supervenience in
his work. It has to be such consciousness must be about something,
which we may call the environment, or physics, and further that the
mental state must be reflected into that environment to set up a fixed
point that anchors the consciousness into a meaningful
environment. This will manifest as physica supervenience. Otherwise,
the observed environment will collapse into meaningless noise, an
effect I dubbed the Occam catastrophe.

I know Bruno has sometimes talked about fixed points, and what he
calls the "Dxx" trick, but I don't see any real derivation of physical
supervenience in his theories.