On 24 May 2017, at 13:53, David Nyman wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Nyman <da...@davidnyman.com>
Date: 22 May 2017 at 10:32
Subject: Re: A case in point
To: meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net>

On 22 May 2017 2:44 a.m., "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

On 5/21/2017 5:49 PM, David Nyman wrote:

On 22 May 2017 at 00:59, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

It hardly seems like a serious proposal.

​I surely agree.
​
If he were serious, he would have already done the experiment in the lab with one or two people. If they could cause a deviation from QM, THEN it would be worthwhile to do it with people far apart to avoid inadvertant signaling.

​Sure, but I'm still interested in the category confusion. I doubt he's twigged that the very way he's formulated this implies that brain function is somehow inconsistent with whatever he thinks he means by consciousness. I assume he isn't suggesting that neurocognition itself isn't itself reducible to physics.

I think that is what he's suggesting. He's supposing that consciousness can realize FTL signaling.

As opposed to neurocognition which cannot? As I said below, it strains credulity that he would believe that neurocognition itself isn't part of physics. So he's making an implicit distinction between that and consciousness, which he obviously does believe isn't physical in some putatively distinguishable sense. Because he's also apparently not questioning the latter's ability to participate in the implied ontological schema, he's willing to credit that it can somehow intercede in causal relations. Trouble is, this view would make consciousness inconsistent with brain function, as indeed it would have to be to accomplish what the former could not.

Is it really? He seems to me to believe that consciousness might reduce the wave packet. He seems just willing to believe that Mechanism is false, and that consciousness is a non local physical phenomenon. Of course, a Mechanist will interpret his experience as the nth experience confirming the many-worlds (saving 3p determinacy, 3p locality, etc.) ... or disproving quantum mechanics.

As I've said, I don't believe that this kind of cognitive dissonance could be established or maintained without a fundamental confusion of categories between ontology and epistemology. In the view I've put forward, both neurocognition and consciousness properly belong to the category of a theory of knowledge, the former as an observable and the latter as the manner of its observation. Consequently both concepts would necessarily be inferences from a common ontological​ assumption. Viewed in that way, it would hopefully be rather more obvious that they could hardly be inconsistent with each other.

I am OK when assuming mechanism is correct. If mechanism is false, we can almost imagine *any* weird theory.

Bruno

David

Brent

Consequently it would presumably be subject to the same limitations that worry him with respect to any other physical source of randomisation. So the contention that "conscious choice" somehow isn't thus restricted implies an inconsistency between these two categories that on the face of it would make little sense even in a dualist framework.

David