On 12 Jul 2017, at 06:45, Brent Meeker wrote:

Here are a couple of papers that may be of interest. Albert considers what a QM automata may know about itself and arrives at some unexpected result. Peres throws some cold water on the result - but Peres doesn't believe in a multiverse.

That paper by Albert use the FPI, or a quantum FPI-like notion, and is close to Everett's view. Yet, if I remember correctly, Albert, who criticized the Many-World a lot in his book "QM and experiences" has restated his self-theory in a Bohmian frame (with still sort of parallel universe (as Deutsch argues correctly (I think), and lacking particles and full of p-zombies). I found that development very weird, and it cannot be used with digital mechanism (even with a quantum automata). So Albert was close, but then drifted away ...

I will look at Peres paper, but usually I am not very convinced by its metaphysical assumption, even without assuming computationalism. I will comment if I find that I missed something.

<albert1983automata.pdf><peres1984automata.pdf>