On 25 Oct 2017, at 21:15, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 10/25/2017 5:37 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
I am not entirely sure of this. I think that in the long term, the free-market can work, both for preserving resource and happiness. We might have a different feelings due to the fact that it does not seem to have work with us, but the reason is that we don't have a free-market, given that we have the prohibition laws. Even at the start, Henri Ford, who made his 300 first Ford car in Hemp, and using Hemp, defended the Hemp for building car by saying that it is a renewable resource, and that it would not perturb the current concentration of 0_2, C0_2. If the Market would have been free, most people would have used Hemp (which was the petrol before petrol) instead of petrol.

Nonsense.  Hemp was grown for rope.  It was never a fuel.

Rudolph Diesel and Henri Ford seems to have conceived and planned to build their engine with hemp and vegetable source of oil. Googling on I don't find real refutation of this. Of course they did not succeed.

Henry Ford built a car whose body panels were made from plant cellulose, mostly from soybeans but including 10% hemp. But it was never shown to be economically viable or durable enough to replace steel. Notice that when GM built plastic bodied cars, the Corvette, Saturn, Fiero...they did not make the plastic from soybeans or hemp and the cars have not aged well. The plastic hardens and cracks.

Because they did not make bio-plastic indeed. To be sure, we don't know the life-time of bio-plastic either, given that all such project have been impeached by prohibition.

To sell something as toxic and disgusting as petrol, you *need* to abolish the free market, which is what happened. After that you do lose happiness, and you do destroy basically everything quickly, hopefully in a reversible way. Free-market is like evolution. It does not see anything in the long term, but can still lead to building things which can see in a longer and longer terms.

Bruno

I'm afraid you've become a crank on this point...as though marijuana the basis and measure of world capitalism.

No, only a witnessing of the inexistence of capitalism or what we call in Europe liberalism, that is simply the non-existence of a free market.

How could we have a a free-market if we tolerate that a government decide what can and cannot be consumed? That makes no sense at all. Without legal market, you only create the criminal market, and this can only augment the consumption, and the possible dangers, of the product.

Prohibition is only that: to prevent the market to be controlled by the actual need of the people. It benefits only to criminals, and partially to their hostages.

A "drug" is only a medication which can become dangerous when prohibited. Have you heard a street dealer telling his "client" to respect the posology? Or asking for a medical prescription?

The vocation of a drug is to reduce the harm, but prohibition entails the complete opposite. Even legal medication becomes dangerous in time of prohibition, because the goal is no more to cure and helps people, but to maximize benefits. Money, the wonderful mean, is transformed into a senseless goal.

I am a classical thinker. I think that once we tolerate one lie, we quickly get many lies, if not all.