On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ​> ​
> Random is (IMO) out: how would you justify ANY of the physical laws and
> their consequences if 'random' occurrences may intrude

​
Easy, just change from "if X and Y then Z" to "if X and Y then usually Z".
In fact that is exactly what scientists have been doing in the real world
from day one.
​
I don't see why this bothers you so much, after all there is no logical
reason ANY event must have a cause so we should count ourselves lucky that
at least some of them do. And it's not as if we have a choice in the matter,
​
we know for a fact that the
​ Bell inequality is violated so if you insistent determinism then thing
are non-local or things don't exist in a definite state when you're not
looking at them or both. And it gets worse, ​more recently it was
discovered that the
Leggett–Garg inequality
​ is also violated and that means those non-local forces must be even
stranger, not only are they unaffected by distance and carry information
faster than light but the future can change the past and the arrow of time
is dead. Do you want determinism THAT bad?​

> *​> ​Statistics* is (IMO) a no-no,

​Bur statistics is necessary and it works, and that is exactly what you'd
expect to happen if sometimes things are deterministic and sometimes they
are not.​

 John K Clark