On 29-11-2017 08:10, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 29/11/2017 5:28 pm, Brent Meeker wrote:

On 11/28/2017 8:51 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 29/11/2017 3:22 pm, Brent Meeker wrote:
On 11/28/2017 7:59 PM, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 29/11/2017 2:29 pm, John Clark wrote:

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Brent Meeker <meeke...@verizon.net>
wrote:

​ >> ​ And how is the Eternal Inflation Multiverse fundamentally
different from the String Theory Multiverse?
​

​ > ​ I didn't say they were different from each other; I said
they were different from the mulitple worlds of Everett which all
share the same physics with the same physical constant values.

​I see no reason all the Everett worlds have the same physics,
 Everettian worlds follow from assuming that the Schrödinger equation
applies everywhere without exception, so that all physical evolution
is unitary. A change in the underlying physics -- such as a change in
the value of fundamental constants,  Planck's constant or Newton's
constant for example -- would not be unitary, so cannot occur in MWI.

 The same reasoning applies to the Level I multiverse from eternal
inflation -- same physics everywhere. However, the level ii multiverse
from the string theory landscape has physical constants and the number
of space-time dimensions varying from world to world.

unless it turns out that only one sort of physics can happen. But
lets assume you're right, then the string theory multiverse must be
larger than the many worlds multiverse incorporating everything in
Everett's version and MORE; after all if it contains universes with
radically different laws of physics it must also contain more modest
things like a world where my coin came up heads instead of tails.

 I would suggest that there is no such world. Whether a coin comes up
head or tails on a simple toss is not a quantum event; it is
determined by quite classical laws of physics governing initial
conditions, air currents and the like.
 That's not so clear: https://arxiv.org/abs/1212.0953v1 [1]

 I don't find the arguments in this paper in the least convincing: air
current easily overwhelm Brownian motions, and quantum uncertainties
in times of neural firings are not responsible for the results of coin
tosses, or random digits of pi. We can construct classical coin
tossers, etc. It sounds like they are very close to superdeterminism.

 Well I'm pretty sure they're wrong about the coin flipping since
Persis Diaconis trained himself (as magicians do) to flip a coin and
catch it so consistently he can make it heads or tails at will.

 Actually, the whole idea that quantum effects in the brain affect
behavioural outcomes is pretty nonsensical. As we know, the brain is a
hot system with decoherence times of the order of nanoseconds. If
random quantum effects affected behaviour, behaviour would be random
and purposeful action would be impossible. This is ruled out by
experience -- as is the related notion of superdeterminism.

 Bruce

There is no such thing as a "real classical world", the world is quantum mechanical, everything is ultimately always a quantum event, albeit involving a huge number of degrees of freedom, in general. Classical physics only yields an approximate description of the world, which can be exceedingly accurate, just like e.g. thermodynamics can yield an excellent description of properties of materials.

Saibal

[2].

Links:
------