On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 12:55:04 PM UTC-6, Jason wrote:

> I can understand how in the darwinian sense, it could makes predators and
> prey less successful.  But in the sense of humans, who have technologically
> escaped most of the darwinian pressures, could this idea not improve life
> on earth?

The human species since the time of Australopithecus has worked to remove
itself from the Darwinian world. With the development of stone tools and
fire our early hominid ancestors took themselves off the menu. In turn they
put more on their menu. We have been able to figure out how to untie any
environmental constraint upon us and to further generate more positive feed
backs. The results have not been an improvement of life on Earth. It has
been rather the demolition of life as we replace naturally occurring
systems with trash. The idea we are somehow improving things only might
operate for ourselves, and frankly it might be argued it is for a subset of
humans. In effect we are engineering the sixth mass extinction of life. The
picture below illustrates an Albatross that has ingested plastic in the
oceans and died. In the end this is the final legacy of Homo sapiens.

LC

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wSren5fU7eQ/WiRTPEYdulI/AAAAAAAADJQ/vFyuCb1qersp007sw6kd-8kEQFmRr5KOgCLcBGAs/s1600/Albatross.png>