On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 5:17 AM, <agrayson2...@gmail.com> wrote:

​> ​
> I recently viewed a documentary on Quasars. IIRC, they are interpreted as
> immense BH's with inflowing matter of galactic size to account for their
> brightness, and their redshift, applying Hubble's Law, indicates they are
> far removed, closer to the BB than any galaxies within our observable
> universe. Question: did galaxies form that early after the BB to account
> for the huge inflows of matter and brightness? TIA, AG

Quasars formed very soon after the Big bang, almost embarrassedly soon.  A
recently discovered quasar called J1342+0928 is 13.1 billion light years
away and was formed just 690 million years after the Big Bang, and yet it
is powered by a Black Hole of 800 million solar masses. Astronomers
have trouble explaining how a Black Hole could get  that  big  that  fast
by conventional  stellar evolution, but if from day one the universe
already contained 100 solar mass Black Holes that would help a lot in
explaining how that could happen and maybe  give us a hint at what Dark
Matter is too.

We know from the percentage of the elements Hydrogen, Deuterium, Helium and
Lithium in existence  how much regular matter was around one minute after
the Big Bang when nucleosynthesis cooked up these elements, and there is no
room for Dark Matter. So the Black Holes that form the bulk of the
Dark Matter can't have come from the corpses of dead stars made of regular
matter; but maybe Black Holes formed long before nucleosynthesis occurred
when the universe was much less than one minute old and things were too hot
for even protons to exist much less elements.

Stephen Hawking proposed this explanation for Dark Matter some years ago
but the idea had fallen out of favor because it was largely (but not
entirely) ruled out by the data. We know that to account for all the Dark
Matter the Black Holes can't be larger than 100 solar masses because there
would be more gravitational microlensing than we observe. And we know that
to account for all the Dark Matter the Black Holes can't be smaller than 10
solar masses because we'd see Black Hole explosions / evaporations (if they
were REALLY small) and the orbits of widely spaced binary stars would be
disrupted, but we don't see any of that.

But there is still a window for Primordial Black Holes being Dark Matter
that the data hasn't excluded and it's between 10 and 100 solar masses, and
that's just what LIGO discovered. LIGO has  so far detected 6 collisions
between Black Holes ranging in size between 36 and 7 solar masses resulting
in Black Holes of 18, 21, 35, 49, 53, and 62 solar masses. So maybe 85% of
all the matter in the universe is in the form of Primordial Black Holes.

​ ​
John K Clark